8 tips to remember your reusable cup
Author: Marty Middlebrook
You’re in a rush, you need a coffee, but you’ve forgotten your reusable cup. Sound familiar?
“Does anyone have any good methods to remember to take their keep cup in the morning? I'm thinking to start storing the keys with the cups! Or the baby bottles.”
Since ABC’s the War on Waste aired, sales of reusable coffee cups went through the roof.
But how do you always remember an item that doesn’t fit comfortable in your pocket, needs a wash or is still dripping wet?
Someone recently asked this on a web forum, “Does anyone have any good methods to remember to take their keep cup in the morning? I'm thinking to start storing the keys with the cups! Or the baby bottles.”
Here are some quick tips - but also what to do when reusables are not an option.
Note– these ideas are applicable across the full range of reusables, not just coffee cups!
From the forum:
- I keep it in my bag (with my straw and cutlery) or at work so it’s on hand when I need it. I also won’t buy a drink if I don’t have it with me, although if I’m near the office I will order and then pop into work and get a ceramic mug to take it away. Lots of confused looks the first time but they’ve always been happy to help.
- What about after washing it just put it straight in your work bag?
- Put a reoccurring reminder on your phone for the approximate time you're about to go to work.
Suggestions from our team:
- Get two reusable cups - one for work / one for home or left in the car.
- Borrow someone else's.
- Ask the café staff if you can take the mug back to work and return it later.
- Dine in - take 5 mins and enjoy a cafe moment.
- Convince your local cafe to join Green Caffeen, a returnable KeepCup scheme or tye could get an in-house recycling scheme's like RecycleMe.
And finally, don't beat yourself up over the occasional disposable cup - there are much bigger issues to solve! Reduction through reuse is a great start.
Author: Marty MiddlebrookMarty started with Planet Ark in 2012 and is currently Head of Operations. "I grew up playing outside. I love that Planet Ark not only champions time in nature, but that it also demonstrates the actual benefits and positive effects for people – and how fun it is!"
- Are you looking for more recycling services for your workplace? »
- Sydney schools join circular waste stream program that turns plastic into roads »
- The road to economic and environmental recovery is paved by recycling »
- Planet Ark partner Alliance Paper helping to stop the spread of COVID-19 through educational receipts »
- APCO launches Our Packaging Future report »
- Sustainability Victoria grants for recycling infrastructure projects »